Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 16, 2010

My Japanese Maple


I bought this maple from a nursery here in my area and it has been free growing for a long time. Its about 12 yrs old and I knew it needed some work to get it to where it needed to be. So I contacted Mike Konig of MIKobonsai and he helped me out tremendously with where I needed to clip and snip all my branches.  The first picture was the before and the second is the after. You can see I shortened the tree about 4 inches and all the branches were brought in closer to the trunk. That was about a week and a half  ago and im already seeing some new buds starting to peek out. I have to say I was super nervous about chopping down my maple but I can see it was for the best. :)
Hopefully I will get some really good new growth so I can wire out and get the branches in the areas I need them to be. I also am using the back side of the tree now as the front. This was recommended by Mike because of the obvious knot there at the bottom of the tree. I will post a update in a few weeks to show how it is progressing. I will also be posting pictures of my specimen maples I have growing in the yard. Which includes a Trident which  I Plan on using as bonsai in a few years and also a nice Mountain maple and also a Fire glow. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think. Thanks again Mike for all your help!

1 comment:

  1. This tree looks like it has a solid future - good cutback was done! Next spring this tree should have a bountiful flush of new growth!

    ReplyDelete